Many people feel like they aren’t ready, or aren’t good enough. Crossfitters ask themselves questions such as “Why should I pay more money to compete?”.
Well, truth is… there’s a reason. And over at BoxRox where this article was first seen, is the answer.
I’ve pasted it below for you to see.
Here’s why it’s a good idea to compete in the Open 2019:
- The 2019 CrossFit Open gives you a purpose to train for. Runners train for 5k or 10k, why not do the same for CrossFit?
- The workouts are measurable, observable and repeatable so that you can test your improvement
- Motivation for training: The 2019 CrossFit Open can help you improve motivation through the hard winter months
- Measured by judges. This makes you accountable for all your movements and standards
- It will help you to get out of your own comfort zone
- It will place you in an elevated competitive environment if you have never competed before
- Compete against your friends
- Have fun measuring yourself against some of the fittest athletes in the world, this can be a great source of inspiration
- Put yourself under pressure. Test yourself mentally
- The atmosphere and support creates a special environment where many athletes achieve their first muscle up, or pull up, or double under etc
But if we dive in a bit deeper, here’s why you really need to do it.
UNCOVER NEW WEAKNESSES
One of the best parts of Crossfit is its constant ability to help you uncover personal weaknesses that need to be improved. This is true for athletes of all abilities, from CrossFit Games winners right through to complete newbies. Look at Katrin Davidsdottir and Rich Froning on rope climbs. Each of these CrossFit Games athletes met an exercise that they had not mastered, and severely struggled with it during each respective workout.
The point is that this can happen to you regardless of ability, and that it is a good thing because ultimately it will lead you towards becoming a better athlete. Entering the 2019 CrossFit Open will surely uncover a weakness or two for you to work on and improve upon in the future.
CONNECT WITH THE WORLDWIDE CROSSFIT COMMUNITY
Undoubtedly you have a great community at your Box, which is why it’s fun and productive to train there.
The 2019 CrossFit Open gives you the opportunity to expand that community internationally. Instead of your small group of fellow Crossfitters that go through the shared suffering of each WOD, you will now be working out with the world! There are hundreds of thousands of other Crossfitters experiencing the same hardships, triumphs, and sense of achievement that you will.
BECAUSE YOU MIGHT SURPRISE YOURSELF!
Stepping out of our comfort zone is always easier said than done. Humans are wired to seek balance and safety and familiar surroundings, but signing up for the 2019 CrossFit Open will give you 5 new workouts to try, and allow you to test yourself against some of the best athletes in the sport.
You still complete the workout in your Box, but the context is different, and that added dimension can be helpful for pushing you further and harder, hitting PRs and new exercises for the first time.
In 2018, many people nailed their first bar muscle up when it was revealed as a movement in of the Open WODs. The added pressure can often be a huge help to spur you on to surprise yourself!
TRAIN YOUR COMPETITIVE SPIRIT
We are all competitive in different ways and to varying degrees. If you are one of the top athletes in your Box, then the Open lets you compete against the best from your area, country and other potential National Champion athletes even. If you are very new to Crossfit, the Open will enable you to see how you are doing against many other newcomers from all around the world.
So, as you see…
There’s PLENTY of reason to sign up and get your ass in gear for a competitive 2019 with the Crossfit Open.
So, what are you waiting for?